THE BIG STORY
The story of Door Creek Church is part of a much larger and grander story that God has been writing through the church. The church is not primarily a building, but a people—His people—called by Him to be His presence in the world. It began nearly 2,000 years ago in the cities of Jerusalem and Antioch. The book of Acts recounts the beginning of this movement.
Through the church in Antioch, Paul, the leading teacher and church planter of the early church, and other leaders were sent out to plant more churches throughout Asia and Europe. Wherever there were people, there was a need for a church to share the word of God and serve the needs of the community. The church expanded rapidly throughout the centuries and around the globe, as more and more people were sent out to reach others with God’s Word.
OUR CHAPTER IN THE STORY
- In 1906, Bethany Church, on the near east side of Madison, was planted with a heart to reach incoming immigrants and provide a place for all people to hear the gospel.
- In 1965, Bethany Church continued the movement to reach more people with God's Word and planted two churches—Buckeye Church on the east side of Madison and Blackhawk Church on the west side of Madison.
- In 2000, Buckeye Church was renamed Door Creek Church and moved to its current location on Sprecher Road with a heart to see more people on the east side of Madison reached with the gospel of Jesus.
- In 2002, then Lead Pastor Brad Smith delivered his vision for Door Creek Church. "My vision is that Door Creek Church would become the most radically loving community in the city of Madison. That we have such a contagious love for God and love for one another and love for the needy people in this city that the whole city takes notice. I believe that the church of Jesus Christ in this city ought to have the reputation for being the most loving people on the planet, not just that we be a loving place, but that we have a reputation in the city of being the most loving place in the city. I believe that's Christ's vision—that it's already happened! It's worked once before. It can happen again."
- In 2008, Boomerangs Resale Store was established as an outreach ministry of Door Creek Church with the goal of meeting the needs of people in the Madison community. Boomerangs represents Door Creek Church's commitment to the Madison area and all profits are invested in the community.
- In 2011, Door Creek Church expanded, planting a campus in DeForest to see more people reached with the gospel on the north side. DeForest Campus moved to its new building in December of 2018, with over 900 attending the first Christmas Eve services at this new site.
- In 2014, Door Creek Church completed an expansion at Sprecher Road Campus, which provides more space to gather and worship as well as more opportunities to reach people and serve our community.
- In 2018, Door Creek Church opened a third campus, Northside Madison Campus.
- In 2018, Door Creek Church started the non-profit Door of Hope. Door of Hope opened its STEM/STEAM program, offering afterschool programs and lessons to under-resourced kids and families on the north side.
- In 2020, Door Creek Church launched our Online Campus.
The story that God has continuously been writing continues in His church. Door Creek Church is dedicated to seeing more and more people become devoted followers of Christ, who change the world with His love.